Alvium 1800 U-158m with ImSwitch

Hi there,

I’m trying to use the Alvium 1800 U-158m with ImSwitch on an Apple M1 with the following “detectors” config but I’m not able to get a video feed.

"detectors": {
    "WidefieldCamera": {
      "analogChannel": null,
      "digitalLine": null,
      "managerName": "AVManager",
      "managerProperties": {
        "cameraListIndex": 1,
        "avcam": {
          "exposure": 0,
          "gain": 0,
          "blacklevel": 100,
          "image_width": 1000,
          "image_height": 1000,
          "pixel_format": "Mono8"
        }
      },
      "forAcquisition": true,
      "forFocusLock": false
    }
  }

I’ve put this “detectors” config in my own setup file under imcontrol_setups/my_setup.json and updated the imcontrol_options.json file as follows

"setupFileName": "my_setup.json"

A few issues that I’m encountering:

• The image is just noise as if the camera isn’t connected
    Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 11.52.45 AM
    )
  • The pixel format remains at Mono12 even though the 1800 U-158m can use Mono8. Trying to change this in the GUI causes it to immediately change back to Mono12. Even using Mono12 in the “detectors” config doesn’t work.

Any advice for these issues would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,
Scott

Update:

After some debugging, I found the pymba import is failing.

Which is strange as running pip freeze shows that pymba is installed.
Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 12.30.09 PM

Any ideas? Cheers

Hey @scotthitch thanks for reporting this error. May I kindly ask you which vimba version you’ve installed? They recently introduced VimbaX which is not compatible with the pymba wrapper anymore. Vimba 6.0 works as reported by @HaiyueLi in openUC2 ImSwitch if remember correctly. Can you try downgrading this by any chance?

Hi @benedictdied thanks for replying.

I’m using macOS so unfortunately I cannot downlaod Vimba 6.0 (here). Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Scott

Interesting, the vimba works on mac nowadays? Can you check their standard python SDK ?

Hi @benedictdied,

Unfortunately only Vimba X works on Mac but Vimba 6.0 doesn’t (see here)

Cheers,
Scott

I see. Then we would need to write a camera adapter for their new API. I think chatGPT could help us here.